Importance of upper gastrointestinal series in children with gastroesophageal reflux

Wilver Ernesto Herrera García, Ismael Lares-Asseff

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Midgut volvulus is a surgical emergency and occurs as a complication in patients with malrotation. The importance of an upper gastrointestinal series (UGI) in all patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is to rule out any anatomic abnormality precipitated by GERD. Of these abnormalities, "midgut volvulus" is the most catastrophic complication and occurs with intestinal malrotation and should be treated as a surgical emergency. Patients with intestinal malrotation present symptoms such as the following: gastric or bilious vomiting, GERD, nausea, anorexia, abdominal distension or intermittent chronic abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, bloody stools, and stunted growth. However, some patients may not demonstrate any of the above symptoms or be asymptomatic. Approximately 75% of patients with intestinal malrotation present features of GERD or vomiting bile, but in the remaining 25% of patients, GERD is characteristic of GI symptoms and may go unnoticed. In these patients, UGI series followed by intestinal transit remains the study of choice to rule out anatomic malformations or disorders of the digestive tract such as intestinal malrotation or volvulus.
Original languageAmerican English
Pages (from-to)403-411
Number of pages9
JournalBoletin Medico del Hospital Infantil de Mexico
StatePublished - 1 Sep 2013

Fingerprint

Gastroesophageal Reflux
Vomiting
Emergencies
Growth Disorders
Intestinal Volvulus
Anorexia
Constipation
Bile
Chronic Pain
Nausea
Abdominal Pain
Gastrointestinal Tract
Diarrhea
Stomach

Cite this

@article{72f12af632fc42239b90c571709721f5,
title = "Importance of upper gastrointestinal series in children with gastroesophageal reflux",
abstract = "Midgut volvulus is a surgical emergency and occurs as a complication in patients with malrotation. The importance of an upper gastrointestinal series (UGI) in all patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is to rule out any anatomic abnormality precipitated by GERD. Of these abnormalities, {"}midgut volvulus{"} is the most catastrophic complication and occurs with intestinal malrotation and should be treated as a surgical emergency. Patients with intestinal malrotation present symptoms such as the following: gastric or bilious vomiting, GERD, nausea, anorexia, abdominal distension or intermittent chronic abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, bloody stools, and stunted growth. However, some patients may not demonstrate any of the above symptoms or be asymptomatic. Approximately 75{\%} of patients with intestinal malrotation present features of GERD or vomiting bile, but in the remaining 25{\%} of patients, GERD is characteristic of GI symptoms and may go unnoticed. In these patients, UGI series followed by intestinal transit remains the study of choice to rule out anatomic malformations or disorders of the digestive tract such as intestinal malrotation or volvulus.",
author = "Garc{\'i}a, {Wilver Ernesto Herrera} and Ismael Lares-Asseff",
year = "2013",
month = "9",
day = "1",
language = "American English",
pages = "403--411",
journal = "Boletin Medico del Hospital Infantil de Mexico",
issn = "1665-1146",
publisher = "Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez",

}

Importance of upper gastrointestinal series in children with gastroesophageal reflux. / García, Wilver Ernesto Herrera; Lares-Asseff, Ismael.

In: Boletin Medico del Hospital Infantil de Mexico, 01.09.2013, p. 403-411.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Importance of upper gastrointestinal series in children with gastroesophageal reflux

AU - García, Wilver Ernesto Herrera

AU - Lares-Asseff, Ismael

PY - 2013/9/1

Y1 - 2013/9/1

N2 - Midgut volvulus is a surgical emergency and occurs as a complication in patients with malrotation. The importance of an upper gastrointestinal series (UGI) in all patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is to rule out any anatomic abnormality precipitated by GERD. Of these abnormalities, "midgut volvulus" is the most catastrophic complication and occurs with intestinal malrotation and should be treated as a surgical emergency. Patients with intestinal malrotation present symptoms such as the following: gastric or bilious vomiting, GERD, nausea, anorexia, abdominal distension or intermittent chronic abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, bloody stools, and stunted growth. However, some patients may not demonstrate any of the above symptoms or be asymptomatic. Approximately 75% of patients with intestinal malrotation present features of GERD or vomiting bile, but in the remaining 25% of patients, GERD is characteristic of GI symptoms and may go unnoticed. In these patients, UGI series followed by intestinal transit remains the study of choice to rule out anatomic malformations or disorders of the digestive tract such as intestinal malrotation or volvulus.

AB - Midgut volvulus is a surgical emergency and occurs as a complication in patients with malrotation. The importance of an upper gastrointestinal series (UGI) in all patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is to rule out any anatomic abnormality precipitated by GERD. Of these abnormalities, "midgut volvulus" is the most catastrophic complication and occurs with intestinal malrotation and should be treated as a surgical emergency. Patients with intestinal malrotation present symptoms such as the following: gastric or bilious vomiting, GERD, nausea, anorexia, abdominal distension or intermittent chronic abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, bloody stools, and stunted growth. However, some patients may not demonstrate any of the above symptoms or be asymptomatic. Approximately 75% of patients with intestinal malrotation present features of GERD or vomiting bile, but in the remaining 25% of patients, GERD is characteristic of GI symptoms and may go unnoticed. In these patients, UGI series followed by intestinal transit remains the study of choice to rule out anatomic malformations or disorders of the digestive tract such as intestinal malrotation or volvulus.

M3 - Article

SP - 403

EP - 411

JO - Boletin Medico del Hospital Infantil de Mexico

JF - Boletin Medico del Hospital Infantil de Mexico

SN - 1665-1146

ER -